Double Degree Master of Science in Rural Development & Agricultural Economics
 Frequently Asked Questions

1. Is the language of instruction English in all European Partner Universities ?

[Find the answer here]

2. Can European students obtain exemptions ?

Exemptions can be granted (after request to and approval by the management board), but they would most likely not lead to the possibility of doing the program in one year in stead of two. There are strict requirements to mobility and quantities of ECTS to obtain in a combination of institutes as shown in the mobility chapter. Students wishing to study with the Atlantis scholarship cannot obtain exemptions but have to do the program in 2 years. Students studying on another scholarship or alternative financial means can obtain exemptions. If you want to request exemptions, add a motivated letter to your paper application file. 

3. What is the amount of scholarship available and what costs can it cover ?

[Find the answer here]

4. Can a student participate in the ATLANTIS program without an ATLANTIS scholarship ? 

Yes. Students can apply for the scholarship with the application form. Some students will be admitted academically in the program AND will receive a scholarship. Other students will be academically admitted but will not be selected for a scholarship (since there is only a limited number of scholarships available). These students can follow the program as ‘self-sponsoring’ students, paying the costs by another scholarship or by their own financial means.

5. How does the application and selection process work ? Can I apply without an introduction from the university where I graduated ? 

Students can apply freely to the program by sending an application to the central secretariat. They do not need to be preselected or supported or suggested by a university. The applications are gathered centrally and then presented to the management board of the program (all partners, US and EU). This management board decides on academic admission or refusal (based on the general admission criteria) and selects the best students for a scholarship. The names of the preselected students are then communicated to the European commission who needs to approve these names for the payment of the scholarship.

6. Help on filling in the application for Arkansas University: go to your dedicated student website, available to enrolled students only (see student section)

7. Can I apply if I have not yet finished my bachelor degree? You can apply. Should you not yet have graduated, then add your current study and the date you are foreseen to graduate as the ending date (at the latest September 2009) on your application. Add all the transcripts of record showing the courses you have already completed, including the courses for which you have not yet taken the exams.  

Regarding the Application Procedure 

1. I have done a TOEFL test, but it is older then 2 years. Can I still apply with it? Unfortunately not. Read carefully the information in the language section on the left. The TOEFL or IELTS test results have to be no older than 2 years, so for the applications for 2009-2011, this means dated after the 1st of October 2006 (1st October 2008 being the date of opening the call for applications).

2. How can I print the filled up application form to add it to my student file to be sent by regular mail as a hard copy? Once you have submitted the online application, you will receive an automatically generated email, with attached a copy in pdf of the application form that you can save and print. This email will also contain detailed information on how to compose your hard copy application file to be sent by regular mail to the ATLANTIS secretariat.

3. I was filling in the application on-line and my internet connection was lost due to power failure. How can I now continue my application? Simply log in again when the computer and internet connection are working again, using the same password and log in name as previously. You can log in an unlimited number of times and add or change information on your application form. It is only after you have pressed the 'submit' button that you can only read and are no longer able to change anything. Should you wish to change information after submitting your online application, then write an e-mail to transatlantis{at}

4. I do not have a TOEFL or IELTS certificate, but have followed courses in English. Do I meet the language requirements? Proving your language of English is possible in several ways, not only by TOEFL or IELTS test certificates.

  • If you have followed a bachelor's or master's programme at a University or Higher Education Institute (HEI) and the language of all the courses has been English for at least 10 months of the program, then you can submit a certificate from your University or HEI stating this fact (English proficiency certificate). If you can add a TOEFL or IELTS certificate, this can add value to your application.
  • If you have followed a program where the language of education was not English, but you have followed English Language courses as part of your curriculum or in a private or other institute, then this does not meet the criteria. You will need to take a TOEFL or IELTS test.
  • If you have not followed higher education in English but have for example several years of working experience in an English language environment, then this does unfortunately not meet the criteria. You will need to take a TOEFL or IELTS test.

5. Reference letters: my referee gave me the letter in a sealed envelope, how can I upload this in the electronic documents section of the online application ? What do I do with the CV the professor has added? Referees will give reference letters in different ways. 1/ If you receive a sealed envelope, add it in your application file that you send to the IMRD secretariat by regular mail. 2/ If you receive an open envelope, then scan the letter and CV into one document and upload this electronic version of the letter in the last section of the online application. 3/ If you receive a scanned copy from your referee, then upload this electronic version in the last section of the online application. IN ANY CASE, MAKE SURE 3 REFERENCE LETTERS ARE IN YOUR APPLICATION FILE THAT YOU SEND BY REGULAR MAIL TO THE IMRD SECRETARIAT.

6. I have filled in the application form but cannot find the submit button. The fields marked with the small button circle are obligatory. Once all the obligatory fields are completed, a submit button will appear. Clicking this button submits your electronic application to the secretariat. 

7. Certified, Legalised, Translated by a notary, Apostille, ... Once you have submitted the online application, you will receive instructions on how to compose your application file to be sent by mail. You will be requested to send us copies of diplomas, diploma supplements, transcript of records, CV, etc.

WITH YOUR APPLICATION, we request that you send us CERTIFIED copies. For example, a copy you have made yourself of your bachelor or master diploma, but that has been signed and stamped by your University to show that it is a true copy. Make certified copies of your diploma (secondary school and higher education), diploma supplements, transcript of records, and all other documents from local and national authorities to prove they are true copies.

ONCE YOU HAVE BEEN ADMITTED TO THE PROGRAM and have accepted to start, you will be requested to send LEGALIZED copies of your secondary and higher education diplomas (not the supplements or transcript of records) to Ghent. Legalization is done according to the regulations applicable to the country that has awarded the diploma. The legalized copies either bear the original seals and stamps of the Belgian diplomatic authorities (=the Belgian Embassy or the Belgian General Consulate) or they bear the Apostille (Convention of The Hague). If no Belgian diplomatic authorities are present in your country, then the diplomatic authorities of Germany, the Netherlands or France can also legalize your diploma(s) and school certificates.


Since the legalisation can take a few weeks or longer in some circumstances, we advise our applicants to start the legalisation at the time of submitting this application. Failure to provide legalised documents in time might result in the withdrawal of an offer of scholarship (if any) or impossibility to enrol in September due to lack of time for completing the administrative procedures. 


8. What if my diploma etc is not in English? For your application, your documents need to be in ENGLISH, FRENCH, GERMAN or DUTCH. Any documents in other languages than these 4 need to be translated to English by a certified translator and both the translation as the original document need to be added. For your enrolment however, it may be required that documents are translated in English. You will receive this information once you start the enrolment procedure.

9. I cannot find the reference or recommendation letters on the website. The reference or recommendation letter can be downloaded from the page "Application for non-European Students". It is available in a word or pdf format.

10. I have sent my application form along with all the required documents by regular mail. How will I know that you have received my application? As the deadline of the application comes closer, we will notify applicants that have submitted the online application form through publishing the reference numbers on the website. We will inform you in due time (in the same manner) if we have received a complete or incomplete application file by mail. Due to the large number of applications, we cannot inform applicants personally and questions for confirmation of arrival of application files will not be answered individually.  

11. I do not have an international passport. In case you do not have a valid international passport, then enter the number of your national identity card in the online application and add a copy of your national identity card in the file sent by regular mail.

12. My university or referee wants to send documents to the IMRD secretariat. What should I do? The secretariat can receive documents by email or regular mail, not by fax. By email: scan the document and send it to transatlantis{at} By regular mail: send the document to the ATLANTIS secretariat at the address as mentioned in the 'contact'-section of the website. All documents sent separately (not with your application file) should bear as reference your online application number or they will not be added to your application file.

14. The electronic documents I want to scan are larger than 8MB. Compress the document into a ZIP file with WINZIP or another software tool and add this zipped file in the electronic documents section of the online application.

15. My diploma is scanned into one word document, my transcript of records into another word document. I can only attach one document in the section for electronic documents? Compress the documents together into a ZIP file with WINZIP or another software tool and add this zipped file in the electronic documents section of the online application.

16. What is meant by 'secondary school' certificate? The secondary school certificate is the prerequisite for enrolling in university studies. It refers to the schooling you have succesfully completed to allow you access to higher education such as Universities. It is sometimes referred to as the high-school diploma, A levels (O level alone is not sufficient).

                                            Ghent University               Humboldt University                   Agrocampus Ouest                 Nitra University                Pisa University             

Last update on 06/12/2016 -
Management login
Site map